the host by stephanie meyer

Written by Darlyn At Thursday, February 25, 2010
The Summary (Stephanie Meyer):

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

My Thought On This:

Well, did I enjoy this book? Yes. Did I like the book? Wait, let me think twice. Yes? No? Maybe it is a yes. I like The Twilight Saga. But this one, thank God it was different. Vampire thingy sounds just OK since there's load of that type of books. But alien invasion? Plus without a body is way beyond our imagination/ thinking.

The "I like Part" is that Stephanie Meyer did a good job. She thinks of another kind of paranormal genre (no Vamps involved). The storyline was great and the idea of alien (like I said before) is way too cool. The last time I read anything about alien invasion was from Sidney Sheldon (The Doomsday Conspiracy). So I guess she did a good job creating another interesting perspective of idea in her writing instead the typical vampires. I think it is a lot better than the Twilight Saga when it comes to the idea. But still, Breaking Dawn is the best.

The "I don't Like Part" is The Host somehow I thought it should be a bit heavy or maybe adventurous read since it can be categorized a sci-fi @ adult instead I found it is only another Young Adult genre. The focus is more on love conflict and tangling in solving problem a bit later.
I felt like there were parts that dragged a bit, and it was long (or boring?). It is sci-fi, so there were things about it that were bizarre. I don't mind to read a long written novel, but at least it has to make my adrenaline rush. Harry Potter did that successfully to me.

There's always at least a but or more, about flaws in the book. It is fascinating, but there are a few things i found a little bit senseless. I think Stephanie love to have a dumb/clumsy/rebellious heroin in her books. Like Bella (in Twilight), Melanie also have this strong will to repel something or whatever. So skeptical and typical characteristic.
Her characters are shallow and unbelievable, and the way she delivers a plot I have to admit, leaves the reader wanting much more. But I think she has some seriously messed up views on what is and isn't "romantic" in a relationship. But, she is a good storyteller somehow. I liked this one more than I did the Twilight series, but the similarities between the two made me realize I was reading more of her hopelessly teenage romance, and that she just changed the vampires to aliens, perhaps.

Do I like the book? Yes. No. Maybe yes and no. But a lot in yes. =)

My rating: 4/5


8 comments:

  1. Nice review, Darlyn! I've been wanting to read this one for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was meant to read this one in the past week but I thought that reading two ~600+ pages books during a reading slump week would be a big no. Will be devouring this one pretty soon and we'll see if it could grab my interest =_

    ReplyDelete
  3. FAB review. I love how you broke it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest problem with this book was that it took me almost two thirds of it to really get into it. I like the premise and I'm excited to see where she goes in the next book. But I completely see your "Bella/heroine" reference. There are a lot of similarities in the characters. I wonder how often that happens with authors of different books? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Steph: I love to hear you will think of it *wink*

    @ shy: you are dead right. 600 pages are a big NO. plus the book has smaller print. it totally hurt my eyes!

    @ juju: haha.i dont mean it in a harsh way.. *LOL*

    @ the 1st daughter: i see the idea of having difficulties in creating new/fresh storyline.some authors end up with a similar trend. but at least they tried their best.ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read this yet! I think it has got to do with it being a chunkster, but I'll still read it one day, it's just a matter of time, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ melody: i love to hear everyone's opinion on this too.. =p

    @ mizzyasmin: thanks girl ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! XOXO ;p

 

Once A Bookworm Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review