the smoke jumper by nicholas evans

Written by Darlyn At Sunday, March 07, 2010
I actually took the book from my mom's bookshelf. Technically it's mine, but I don't really remember I had it. First time to read Nicholas Evans too. I've been wanting to read The Horse Whisperer, but I guess The Smoke Jumper will do.

The Summary :


Connor and Ed are smoke jumpers, elite fire-fighters who parachute into blazing forests to cut fire breaks. They are also best friends, which causes problems when Connor meets Ed's girlfriend, Julia, and is powerfully attracted to her. So, he kind of ran away from them.

In the wake of the fire, Connor embarks on a harrowing journey to the edge of human experience, traveling the world’s worst wars and disasters to take photographs that find him fame but never happiness. Reckless of a life he no longer wants, again and again he dares death to take him, until another fateful day on another continent, he must walk through fire once more.

My Thought:

I think the story has an original idea. Smoke jumper, I can't reckoned which one he meant, which one is the hero of the story. But I think that this book was truly moving. While I was at first turned off at what appeared to be a 'love triangle' the Evans managed not to cross that line and remained very tasteful by staying away from infidelity. You know how I hate to read a sex scandalous between best friends or married couple. I found it so irritating and annoyed. However, yes, not every books really rely on that particular storyline.

What would you think when Ed married to Julia, but Connor fathered their child, as biological dad? Julia and Connor know they have 'something' together. But they never confront to each other. Ed knew, but three of them made it like nothing was happening. Julia and Connor thought if they cannot have each other, at least they shared something together. When they have the baby, Connor was in estranged, like running away from them.

It's not really an exciting read, but I found the book has a fast pace adventure, mind you about simple elaboration, yet very informative about each character. Through marriage, birth, estrangement and death, Evans clear and precise writing makes 'The Smoke Jumper' worth turning every page. This book was more than a love story, it's the battle of good and evil, finding hope and living life.

I was also astonished at the amount of research the author had to have done to write a convincing novel that covered everything from smoke jumping in Missoula, the war in Bosnia and African religious wars. It is little exciting to read or learn something from a fiction novel. I never thought of smoke jumper really exist! *LOL* (and never know what they are)

This one maybe not his best, but I enjoyed reading it and definitely will read his other books later.

My Rating: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. Interesting story. My colleague's lending me the book so I'll read it. Thanks for the review, Darlyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never have I heard the term "smoke jumper" before. So this is indeed a new revelation for me. Interesting read, I gather, and it makes me somewhat curious as to what kind of blaze that Connor had to go through again as described in the final sentence in the summary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "finding hope and living life" sounds awesome! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! XOXO ;p

 

Once A Bookworm Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review