city of bones by cassandra clare

Written by Darlyn At Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Title: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments #1)
Author:
Cassandra Clare
Pages:
485
Rating:
4.5/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know.

My Review:

After quite some time I've been tossing or put this book aside, I finally finished reading this book. Don't get me wrong, I've only done that because I don't have the other two of the series and even now, I still don't have my copies yet.

To put it simple, the story is somewhat amazing. It is full of family conflict, love triangle, supernatural abilities and it happens in bid cities like Manhattan and New York. Imagine there's actually werewolves, vampires, warlocks, witches, and etc mingles and mix around people. But this is not a story about those creatures of the night. This is story about a group of Shadowhunters which are more or less like a balancer of both good and evil. I'm pretty impressed of how this book is not all about about tall, pale and fangsome vampires or hot bod werewolf. *cough*.

The characters are built in strong personality with each of them have significant differences of interests. When I say that, it goes to the character of Jace, Clary, Simon, Alec and Isabella. Others are OK but I have this huge complex on Valentine and Hodge. They are not what I've expected by which all means, I want Valentine to be meaner and Hodge sudden change from good guy to bad guy is not really believable. It sounds a bit funny, really. All in all, they are pretty more or less as OK.

There are a lot of twist in the story that really intrigues me all the time when I read the book. Even with a little flick of flaw I've mentioned doesn't mean I don't like the book. I was totally absorbed by the book, lost in it and at a quarter end of the book, I had this huge shock that I suddenly threw the book on the floor!That is a super twist I've ever read! I know I know. But I've assumed Jace to be someone I want him to be and despite of that, he never will be what I want him to be to Clary. Urgh. I still have this grudge over Miss Clare. *LOL* OK, maybe she has better plan for that which I think it leaves me impatiently waiting for the next installment, as I am.

To whoever that never read this yet, you better be. It's an amazing and engrossing read that you think you need more than this.

Other Reviewers:

YA Vampire Books 4.5/5
Jennifer @ Reading With Tequila 4/5
Shy @ The Bibliophile's Journal 4.5/5
Morgan @ Smitten With Books

8 comments:

  1. I think I've this book in my pile but just haven't got around to reading it yet. I'm such a slacker when it comes to series books, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I have this one on my shelf waiting to be read! I'm glad to hear that it's good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great review! I absolutely adore this series and can't wait for more to come out, they are wonderful! I really hope you are able to get the next two in the series soon, that would be terrible to have to wait so long. Again, Fabulous review!

    PS...the books you saw on my site, are not from a BEA trip, just different signings I've been to around different places. You never know, you may have authors visit you some time. I never thought I would go to a signing, ever, but it's happened. So the future is never set! Thanks for stopping by! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Darlyn! Glad you liked it--you're absolutely right about Hodge :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh It IS a great book! I loved reading this series. I'm so happy there will be a book #4!
    You're in for a treat *grins*
    I hope you get the other books soon =)

    I just LOVE Magnus...to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. City of Bones is great isn't it? I'm currently reading City of ashes, which I hopefully will like just as much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review, Darlyn! You've just reminded me to get started on the series. I have the books in my pile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just hopping by to check out your blog. I am a new follower too!

    ok you are going to think I am crazy but I haven't read the MI series BUT I recently purchased all three. They are near the top of my to-read list.

    Happy Follow Friday! http://bringmeanotherbook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! XOXO ;p

 

Once A Bookworm Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review